Wednesday 10 September 2008

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Hmmm.

After some discussion with Thunder in comments to previous entries, I've come to a few conclusions about what I think Mir's story is about - or, at the very least, what it's about for me. I may write about it a little more here in the future, but for now at least, I wanted to add, at least, a coda to my earlier FST. Because I think this song describes Mir as she was throughout most of her life, and, in a different way, perhaps, as she became at the end of the game.

Throughout that time, she had a single goal in mind: she wanted to save the world. She wanted to create a paradise. That goal never changed. But she lost faith in the fact that humans could bring this paradise about, and sought to bring it about herself. She didn't know what she was doing; didn't stop to think through the fact that conflict and suffering cannot be healed by conflict and suffering, that her ultimate good could never be brought about through cruelty. But I have revised my opinion that she ever lost sight of her initial dream, as expressed in EXEC_HARMONIOUS/. She held the dream close to her heart all along. It was only her decisions about how to make that dream come about that changed.

I'm hoping we'll see Mir finally, truly bring that dream to full fruition some day, for the good of all in her world. In the meantime, here's the song, and here are the lyrics. (And who would Mir be sending love to at the end of the game? Perhaps, to the world. Perhaps this is the faltering expression of her hopes and doubts that she can truly transform things. Or perhaps she has someone specific in mind. Who knows....)


Also, somewhat tangentially, here's a sweet little post-game fanfic that made me go all fuzzy. Simple, perhaps obvious, but I couldn't help the twinges in my heart at some of the descriptions all the same.


And now to bed.

No comments: