Saturday 18 October 2008

Avoid Mana Energy Potions -- this stuff has the power to mess you up!

I interrupt my normal blogging theme here for something of a product safety warning. Recently I sampled a product called the Mana Energy Potion, meant to boost energy and provide mental stimulation for gamers. My experience with it was... worrying, to say the least, and since I'm not allowed to leave a review on Amazon.com or any other major site unless I actually buy the product there (I bought it in person from Fry's Electronics), I thought I'd review it here in hopes that this gets out to at least some people who are looking for information on this product. I will note that I've consumed energy drinks and other highly caffeinated products before, with no ill effects.

It tastes quite disgusting, and there were some minor side effects almost immediately (such as slight nausea, although that could have been from the taste), but that's not what's really relevant here. What is relevant is that, an hour or so into the experience, I lost my ability to think clearly or to experience any kind of emotional reaction except a frustrating, depressing apathy. I couldn't even get a clear handle on who I was, which was extremely worrisome. I drank a lot of water and ate some food in an attempt to get it out of my system, which seems to have mostly completed itself (possibly partly due to the water, and I think in large part due to the fact that my body wanted rid of this stuff, I've been using the restroom constantly).

I feel somewhat back to normal now, and I'm sure I'll be completely fine soon, but my experiences make me worry that someone already in a depressed mood might have a major reaction triggered by this product. I was willing to do pretty much anything to make me feel better, which could have led, if I were less stable, to some very dangerous actions. I don't think it's safe, and I want to warn people away from using it. I didn't really experience any positive side effects, and I didn't even feel that energetic.

So, yes. Not Worth It, in my opinion.

Feel free to link to this review or reproduce the text of it elsewhere.

3 comments:

thundercloud82 said...

Hm...those are some seriously disturbing side effects. Sounds like a pretty vile concoction to me.

I hope you're alright now.

aquagon said...

Good thing that I have never wanted to try energizing drinks, because that thing looks more a depression stimulant than a energy drink.

Ayulsa said...

I'm doing fine now, thankfully. :) Just wanted to get the warning out there.