Tuesday 17 March 2009

Mir's "180".

Something I've been musing about.... (Spoilers for AT2 will follow.)

I've seen a number of fans, in various place, evince surprise at Mir's appearance in her Cosmosphere Level 8, going as far as to say things like "I can't believe Mir was really like this" and "she doesn't seem anything like the Mir we know". For the longest time, I never really understood what these people were getting at. As someone who's immersed myself in Mir's story since AT1, her appearance in her Level 8 didn't just seem congruous with her personality; it seemed almost mandated. I didn't find myself surprised by it in the slightest.

In fact, that was perhaps the one big downside of AT2 for me (or, perhaps, the downside of my immersion in Mir fannishness); practically nothing that came to pass regarding Mir surprised me at all. With the exception of a few odd little details of correlation between my internal concept of Mir and the game's concept that I couldn't have ever expected would be represented so accurately, I remained largely underwhelmed, because I'd thought about all of this, and retrodden it in my mind in painstaking detail.

I suppose the fact that it was all so accurate in itself should have surprised me, but... it didn't. I didn't feel like I was seeing anything I hadn't already seen in my mind. I worried a lot before playing AT2 that it wouldn't match up with my internal image of Mir, and I was glad that it did, yet the downside of having my mental image of the game match so well was that I didn't feel like I was playing a new game, but one I'd already played. The idea that Mir was really just a fragile, caring child inside, who wanted to build a better world... that seemed evident from Harmonious, from "Reyvateilia" (which always seemed such an explicitly childish name that I was sure that either she must have come up with it as a child or just had a very naive mindset), and, in AT2, from her various costumes and actions leading up to that. There are plenty of clues that Mir is awkward, naive, vulnerable, and socially undeveloped, that she was kind as a child and then lost her mind, and that what was being restored when Harmonious was sung was her innocent, pure way of looking upon life. All of these things, in fact, were what made her stand out to me as more than just a typical "abused villain" character. Yes, she fits the trope, but she's also so much more than that. The interesting part of her is that she's always been purehearted, and she's always held onto that dream.

But I guess the key phrase in all of this is "as someone who's immersed myself in Mir's story". If you don't think about Mir very much, you won't notice these subtle developments, this buildup to her character. You have to analyse her to see it. And the fact that she is so analysable, that AT2 was capable of presenting to me an image identical in almost every respect to the Mir I'd been imagining, despite the fact that basically all we ever see or hear of her is a voice roaring and screaming about wanting to destroy all humans... the fact that there were so many little clues there, from her shield-encased graphic in the final battle to the hymn Harmonious, and that they all did lead exactly where they looked, with enough thought, like they were meant to lead... I don't know. Something about that impresses me, in retrospect, even though it seemed so obvious at the time that it oddly didn't impress me at all.

You can analyse a piece of literature, and come up with elaborate, intricate theories about what the authors might have been trying to invoke with the symbolism, what was really underlying each and every scene, the deeper message that's being told. And while these theories are useful in examining what readers get out of a text, one gets the feeling that they don't often correlate with authorial intent. A simple piece of literature can suggest a million complex things, and yet these complex patterns are largely in the eye of the beholder. A good work will generate them, but they tend to have little bearing on the author's conscious intentions. That Tsuchiya and co. were conscious of all these little things, to the point where the sequel explicitly spells them out, seems impressive.

I remember people saying, back before AT2 was out in English, that Mir's heart wasn't something I understood, because I'd only played half the series. I understand what they meant, and yet at the same time, it makes me smile, a little, to look back and see people saying now how right I was all along, and realise that I did, always, know her heart. Not out of any smug feeling of "haha, I was right and you were wrong"; that's not it at all. It's simply that it makes me happy to realise that I did, after all, truly comprehend my favourite character, even without all of the extra information.

Mir's shaping up to be the most interesting character in AT thus far, and-- again, not in a smug way, just in a sort of... satisfaction-of-having-solved-the-puzzle way, I guess-- it's nice to be able to say "I knew she was interesting before it was cool".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'd be far more relieved at not running into giant unexpected things that feel incongruous than I would feel disappointed at things feeling totally congruous. My biggest worry was that they wouldn't show (or would gloss over) what happened in level 7-C.

If there's anything I find disappointing about AT2's change to the Mir fandom, it's that for some reason I rather like it when I like a character for complicated reasons, and in her case, some of the reasons that were formerly complicated have become uncomplicated now that they are blatant. Oh, well.

I dunno, it's cheap and easy to like her nowadays. And having a cute picture of her or anything doesn't involve searching anywhere hard-to-find. It's not a treasure that's satisfying to find.

Ayulsa said...

To me, there's something somewhat satisfying about the fact that she's liked now that seems... surprising, to me. Like, usually, when you like a minor character or a minor story and then EVERYONE IN THE WORLD AGSDHGDS jumps on the bandwagon (e.g., say, FF7 fandom, or LotR pre- and post-movies), it's annoying as heck. Like you said, it is cheap and easy to like them, and you end up feeling like the new people on the block don't deserve, almost, to get all of this for free, all of this fandom and art and stuff, because they haven't put the dedication in. You worked for it; they didn't-- and even if that's a very arbitrary distinction, it still rears its head in the subconscious.

Yet, somehow, I don't feel like that about Mir. I feel a bit gratified, because it's like no one ever appreciated her or noticed before and I was sad about that, and now I'm just glad to see that she's liked. No one really thought about her, and now she's thought about. It's a bit like finding out someone else is into Reyvateil rights; it's sad to be the only one who cares about something you think is important, gratifying when other people do.

This isn't normally the way I approach it, so it's odd. I suppose it's just that she was so underliked and it was so easy to just write her off as a two-bit villain with no depth, because the depth was something you had to search for, and at least I'm glad she's not being written off any more, or something.

I think with the congruity thing... it was strange. I expected to feel relieved, too, but instead it was almost more like knowing what was going to come and having the suspense taken out of it. I would have probably hated it more if she'd been incongruous, though, so it's not like I'm not pleased about that in the abstract; I just feel less "wow, awesome!" about it than I thought I would. Oddness.

Ayulsa said...

Hmm, actually, I think what it comes down to is: both you and I think that there was something positive and something negative about Mir's portrayal being accurate, but you think it would make the game more fun (because you weren't going "aagh, incongruities") and the fandom less fun (because it's easy to like Mir as a character now), whereas for me it made the game less fun (because I "knew" what was coming) and the fandom more fun (because now it thinks the same as me). Which is odd, because I'd normally think the same as you, but somehow it isn't working like that for me. Strangeness.

Anonymous said...

This is kind of good timing for me, since I just got to the point to go through Jakuri's cosmosphere. And... hmmm. I'm not sure.

Like everyone else who's not you, I'm not as fannish about Mir as you. ^_- But this didn't really surprise me that much either. I wasn't necessarily expecting any specific detail (and some of those details were pretty interesting), but the basic idea I think was really there in the information that was revealed in AT1 phase 3.

One of the things that I think kind of stands out about the AT series is how few simple villain types it has. The only one who really fits the mold is Bourd.

There's something else about Mir's past that does kind of bother me. I suppose I might have had enough information to think of this in AT1, but it didn't come to me until now. Creating a Reyvateil without emotions... doesn't that seem pretty stupid? If I go around classifying things in strategy game terms, Reyvateils are in the same class as Sailor Senshi - "Emotionally fuelled artillary". They gain power from the strength of their emotions. So, wouldn't an emotionless Reyvateil actually be super-weak?

(I once read a fanfic where the Sailor Senshi went through "training" that seemed to totally destroy one's emotions. That this wasn't treated as a serious issue made me so mad that it's probably been over a year now and I'm still irritated about it...)

Anonymous said...

@Ayulsa: I suppose I always thought the depth was there enough that no one would actually write her off as a two-bit villain; they just wouldn't dwell on the matter as much as you and I might. They'd go, "Huh. Interesting." and move on, but they'd know she wasn't that flat.


@winters: I always thought their "plan to create an emotionless Reyvateil" probably backfired because, um, if you make her super-powerful, she's going to have super-high emotions, period. No way to get around that.