Friday 6 March 2009

Diquility theory

[Guestblogged by Deciare.]

There is an article describing the triangular Reyvateilian heart (the nuclear triangular loop, also translated as the core triangular ring) as an aggregate of Static H-waves that eventually grows to become a Reyvateil's soul and character. From the heart, a continuous stream of Dynamic H-waves (emotions and intent) are emitted that causes the Reyvateil's body to constantly generate and regenerate itself as it decays over the course of time. It's effectively a constant emission of an intent to stay alive, or an intent to continue existing, prompting endless regeneration of the body's Static D-waves until the heart no longer functions.

The reason a Third Generation Reyvateil needs Diquility is because the nuclear triangular loop is an artificial construct, and doesn't exist in Reyvateils born the traditional way. Since Diquility is a concentration of "high-purity SHWs with no characteristics", if we were to think of that as an extension to what I said earlier about Reyvateils needing to resupply their "intent to continue existing", then we can theorise that the intent to continue existing is the most fundamental, basic intent. Like one's instinct of self-preservation.

... Which can be overridden by a Reyvateil's other emotions and intents; what else she is radiating as DHWs when she sings, when she harmonises, when she experiences events that cause her to feel something other than neutral.

Consider: Song Magic is a perfectly-articulated condensation of the singer's DHWs, without any omission. Isn't it strange that there is rarely any mention or survival or continuing to stay alive the lyrics of those songs?

Allowing non-essential feelings to be completely excluded from a Reyvateil's mind on both a conscious and unconscious level could significantly boost the strength of her song magic by increasing the purity of DHWs used to convey her intent to the Tower, and her emotion to herself. It's not too different from what humans were trying to do with Mir.

So Third Generation Reyvateils may need Diquility at all due to this gross design flaw in the name of efficiency. A Reyvateilian mind instinctively prioritises survival very low on the list when there are more salient emotions to be felt, and other things that she feels needs to be done.

It ties into the Reyvateilian desire for pervasive interconnectedness, too, as described by the Reyvablog. It's not only because they are used to feeling each other's hearts and don't wish to be alone. It's because even feeling someone else's emotions are so desirable, inspiring, and uplifting compared to feeling neutral. Which leaves one very little time to to actually focus on merely continuing to exist. Logically, one shouldn't have to concentrate one's emotions on continuing to exist, so it's counter-intuitive.

8 comments:

winters said...

Some of that sounds... almost eerily similar to some mechanics I came up with for one of my older RP characters. (One who I'll never *need* that information for, but sometimes I just like making up mechanics.)

Her body is constantly drawing upon a functionally limitless source of magical energy, which is used for all cellular functions instead of chemical energy. If she ever no longer had the desire to live... Her cells would simply disassemble themselves.

Beyond that, I have a feeling that a great deal of this is drawing on material I haven't seen a translation of. `.`

Ayulsa said...

sometimes I just like making up mechanics

An individual after my own heart. ♫

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that a great deal of this is drawing on material I haven't seen a translation of. `.`

I guess it's a little uncommon. ^_^ I drew information from the Hymmnos Theory page of the ar tonelico wiki, Wave Science Lecture #3 and #4, personal accounts from the Reyvablog, and my own impressions of wave theory and Reyvateilian consciousness.

winters said...

I thought of something else this reminds me of - the stuff about "philotes" from some of Orson Scott Card's books.

Though if I'm remembering the way that worked correctly, philotes "love" just being any physical object so much that things couldn't work this way in a universe that ran on them.

*Still likes Children of the Mind*

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I wrote a comment and I guess blogger ate it! I was speculating whether third-gens might be able to lengthen their lifespans by singing about living longer, if only to get through a month where they couldn't afford their Diquility, if it were known...

Hey, does the word "Reyvateilian" make anyone else think of reptiles for some reason? Because it does me, even though "Reyvateil" doesn't.


@winters: Wow, someone else who doesn't write off the entire set of sequels!

My favourite book is Speaker for the Dead, and I always see people dissing "ALL of the Ender sequels", which raises my hackles. I think there's very little to object to in Speaker for the Dead. Although I do think that Children of the Mind has some serious, er, marriage-and-sex-philosophy-related issues.

Ayulsa said...

Hmm, I guess it's because "-teilian" is similar enough to "(rep)tilian", and a long enough string of letters, that it evokes it where the four-letter "teil" simply does not?

And it would be really awesome if they could! It seems like it's theoretically possible and yet something people maybe wouldn't hit upon because it's counterintuitive-- like, oh, of course vampires can't live off their own blood, and Reyvateils can't live off their own song energy. But if they can heal themselves, then presumably they can do this....

Wow. That would be, like, this really obvious solution that barely anyone had thought of. I bet if someone tried to spread that information, a lot of people would say, "that's ridiculous, that wouldn't work" and just never try it....

winters said...

(haounomiko)
I was speculating whether third-gens might be able to lengthen their lifespans by singing about living longer

Interesting idea. I suppose it might depend on how much time had to be spent singing to gain a useful effect, and how efficient it was. There'd probably still be a gradual loss of energy that would put an upper limit on just how long one could go without Diquility with the method... Even relatively small amounts of time might make a difference though.

Although I do think that Children of the Mind has some serious, er, marriage-and-sex-philosophy-related issues.

I thought most of that was in Xenocide? `.` Though I could be remembering it wrong. At least, it seemed to me like most of the weirdness was in Xenocide, and CotM was just the dealing with the fallout.

I can't actually remember why I started feeling the need to point out whenever the issue came up that I still liked that book. I think it had something to do with something other than the content of the books themselves, but I'm not sure what. Whatever it was, I still find enough of what's going on interesting that I still enjoy the book in spite of the stuff that's screwed up... and feel the need to point it out. `.`

Anonymous said...

I actually thought CotM was pretty messed up in terms of the priests' ideas about sex and marriage. Xenocide was more messed up in terms of its idea to "cure" a whole bunch of people of their OCD whether or not they wanted to be cured-- and, er, it was mentioned that "not many people died", which leads me to wonder why we never, ever hear about the ones that did.

...honestly, I feel like OSC went and violated his own philosophies and ideas from Speaker for the Dead, in other parts of that series, which bugs me a bit, but... yeah.