Wednesday 28 January 2009

I reserve the right to call a hack a hack.

One thing that's been disconcerting me about the recent bug-addled, typo-riddled release of AT2 is the number of people in the "non-core" fandom-- i.e. those who frequent the GameFAQs and other such forums, but don't actually participate in AT-only fan spaces-- who've been calling out the core fans for complaining about the errors, accusing them of acting "too entitled" and "looking a gift horse in the mouth".

This winds me up for a couple of reasons. Firstly, AT2 was not a "gift horse". It was a $40 game. Gamers are no different from other consumers in that they have a right to protest a product they've paid for if they don't find it to be satisfactory. Complaining at the creators of a fan translation, who've done the job solely out of the goodness of their own hearts and on their own time, is more of a quandary; you're perfectly within your right to state your dislike, though it's also hard to argue that a fan owes any more of their time to a project than they're willing to put in.

That said, one expects that if someone's going to put in the effort to see a translation project through to completion, fan or no, it's respectful of the game-- and sensible, with regards to how much more effort it takes proportionally to output a polished translation versus an unpolished one-- to release something at least half-decent. And even if it's not exactly fair to demand that a fan should have spent more time on the game, I feel one is within their right to boycott the translation, to suggest other people boycott the translation, and to generally express disapproval of it if you find it not to do justice to the game.

Which brings me to my second point: I not only don't accept this level of localisation quality from a company whose job it is to do this-- I wouldn't accept it from a fanwork. I would have reservations about recommending a fanfic that demonstrates this level of proofreading and grammatical competence. I don't think that means I hold fanfics to unreasonable standards. I don't think that makes me arrogant. I think that means I feel that whether sentence construction has had care and attention paid to it or whether it's spilt out onto the page like a drunken IM conversation makes a difference to the experience of a story.

Stories are better when they're well-written. I want to read, and recommend, well-written amateur fiction. I expect to read well-written professional fiction. I shouldn't be expected, when I come across a badly-told story, to say "well, at least we got the story" and leave it at that. I am grateful we got the story; stories, no matter how awkwardly told, are things worth having in this world. I think it's a positive that Ar Tonelico 2 exists as it does. I just think it could have been cared for more by those who brought it over, and I don't think I'm remiss in pointing out that it's not as good as it could have been, by a long shot.

And for those who'd protest the typo-filled translation of a book but think we're getting too worked up about something that's "just a videogame": in Shakespeare's time, plays were considered popular entertainment for the masses. When the modern novel was first invented it was seen as a cheap form of entertainment not befitting the upper class. Art forms are generally only respected in retrospect. That doesn't mean you can't use your brain, examine history, and get a head start.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little part of me died inside when the phrase "it won't make no sense" came out of Jakuri's mouth. I might have been able to deal with it if it'd been Amarie or Leglius or someone, but Jakuri? I think I've developed a whole new Cosmosphere level just from seeing it.

And whatever part of this is a "gift horse" completely escapes me, because, as you said, it's a $40 game. WTF, people.

Ayulsa said...

They really did use those exact words. It baffles me. They were like "you should be grateful for anything you're given. Even if you have to pay for it and it turns out to be full of bugs and typoes".

And maybe this is just one of Jakuri's little tactics to see if you can really love her despite her flaws. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I don't know. As Cynthia pointed out, she hates being wrong. (In some ways, she is still like a little kid...) So I disbelieve that she'd make an error like that on purpose just to test us.

Or maybe I just don't want her to say anything so unattractive. =D

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Jakuri does not make mistakes. She indulges in controversial wordplay because she knows no one will dare to call her on it. :D

Anonymous said...

Also, I don't need to be tested. I'll bury Jakuri in 1024-bit floating point numbers whose values are less than 3 any day. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Anonymous said...

It's a shame it's so hard to squee properly in floating point numbers. You can't simply go "e".

Ayulsa said...

I'm sure if your intent is sufficiently strong, simple ones and zeroes will convey the message more than adequately to her emotional regulatory subsystems. :)

Anonymous said...

The phrase "find Misha and revenge on her" hurts me greatly...

Anonymous said...

... I will catch up Jakuri and soup at her.

Wee paks gagis tie won Jakuri en warma eta kapa tes has.

^ Behold! Broken Hymmnos grammar! Ah, it's too terrible to conceive! What have I done? But I didn't utter it out loud... It couldn't have had any effect on the Tower.

... Ooh, a part of it sounded like Greek.

Rarutos said...

*randomly joins in the disussion*

Rarutos said...

And AyuAyu... I was looking back at our first conversations on AIM... And I have to say, I miss chatting with you buddy! <3

Spring me an IM sometime~ Just to chat. (Mostly because I'm not sure when you are or aren't busy... Otherwise I would IM you. XD)