Friday 12 December 2008

Bringing the glory of The Last Boss's Black Mug to worlds beyond....

We all love The Last Boss's Black Mug. With its endearingly Engrish name, its wrathful vibrating action, and its sleek, Jakuri-adorned features, what's not to adore about this unique piece of crockery? Now, the infamous mug has made its debut in a whole new world: the world of Second Life.

Click, click and click again to see the mug in action! Modelled here by my very own Mir avatar (in fetching HTTP status-code 403 pajamas, no less), the Jakuri mug provides an unlimited supply of caffeine to lagging Reyvateils on the go, and its wrath will keep any avatar's hands warm for hours. So even if you can't have the glory of the Last Boss's Black Mug in your own home here, you can still have one in Second Life. (Well, if you're me, I guess. I don't actually have a shop to sell these things from....)

More Mir portraits from Second Life coming soon; this avatar makes a great model for insta-fanart.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should open a Console-RPG-Themed Merchandise Shop!

Ayulsa said...

Aw! I'd do that if I could think of more merchandise to sell. I could have a mini AT Merchandise Shack and sell Funbun t-shirts and install port tattoos....

Anonymous said...

You could do merchandise from various different RPGs and have a little building for each. Here's the Funbun shop and you can buy your own install port here (!), here's the Chocobo t-shirt shop and some FF replicas, etc...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.

Though, with how (according to what I've read) Second Life's currency is linked to real world currency, selling things directly based on console RPGs might be... a bit risky?

Ayulsa said...

Well, you'd think, but given I've routinely seen people with Chocobo and Moogle avatars, I have a Sora avatar, etc., I don't think anybody actually cracks down....

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that sort of thing is really not enforced in SL. Those things are all over the place. (And why should it be enforced, anyway? Free advertising for the creators, and it's not like they're offering moogle avatars that people would be buying instead of the independently-made ones. Of course, I know companies don't always see it like that, but still, if they're not enforcing I say have a ball.)

Anonymous said...

Huh. I'm used to City of Heroes, where they're pretty vigilant about turning characters based on copyright material into "GenericHero"s.

Though that hasn't stopped me from working less known references into a lot of mine. (Including one character who's a homage to AT and a shout out to two of my favorite anime series all at once...)

Anonymous said...

I imagine that if companies started enforcing branding in SL, a lot of designers would turn to doing things like "WcDonald's" and the like that you see in anime. I haven't actually seen any enforcement, though, and this may be in part because a lot of businesses do see SL as a promotion opportunity and have presences intended to promote and advertise themselves there just for the sake of visibility.